Plans for Payroll >> Copy of Payroll
This page is suitable for printing. Just use the print option in your browser.
Group: 2010 - 2011
Type: District Program Review
Last Modified On: 6/29/2011 11:59:04 AM
Last Modified By: 0972543
State: Submitted (Finalized)
State By: 0972543
- Assume the reader knows nothing about your unit. Please describe concisely its mission.
Protect District and employee financial security through accurate compensation.
Please describe concisely the following characteristics of your unit. Feel free to use both narrative and quantitative information.
- Functions or services
- Value of your services to the clientele(s), the Colleges, and the District
- Organizational structure and number of personnel by function
- Annual budget by object code for the last three years
- Hours of operation, location, and other pertinent service characteristics
- Significant changes, if any, since the last program review
1-2. SBCCD Payroll Department is responsible for maintaining all information pertaining to employee salaries and leaves.
3. All District employees.
4. Both employees and the District can count on the accuracy and reliability of the service by Payroll Department.
5. Supervising Senior Accountant, Supervisor and Special Projects
Senior Payroll Accountant, Academic
Payroll Accountant, Classified
Account Clerk II, Classified and Academic
6.See attached supporting document Budget
7. SBCCD Payroll Department is available Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm and is located at the SBCCD Administrative Offices at 114 S. Del Rosa Dr. San Bernardino CA 92408.
8. There are no significant changes in the Payroll Department.
3. Outcomes and Other Measures of Effectiveness
- Identify at least one essential measure of effectiveness for each major operation of the unit. (See Effectiveness Measurement Guidelines and Examples.)
- Include at least one baseline measure or measure of progress on a well-defined outcome.
- Include at least one measure showing effectiveness in responding to the Colleges’ needs.
- For each measure, identify the assessment method you used.
- Please summarize the results of the measures you have applied. If results showing trends over time are available, please report them.
Provide accurate pay warrants on every cycle by using the percent of errors found when balancing payrolls; our target is 1% of errors. We will balance the Payroll, count the errors, and divide by the number of pay warrants issued.
Results from March payrolls were 1,679 payroll warrants with no errors.
Results from District Operations Satisfaction, Survey of March 2011 were 77% overall compared to last year of 79% and were good on friendly, courteous and professional staff.
4. External Opportunities and Challenges
- Describe any external opportunities that might lead to unit improvement over the next three to five years.
- Describe any external challenges (e.g., legal requirements, budgetary constraints) that might limit operations or improvement over the next three to five years.
a) Opportunity - Improved leadership at the State level for increase of funds by Governor.
b) Challenge - Due to the lack of funds from the State Budget we would not be able to fund new payroll system and add personnel to meet updates of current technology and practices.
5. Analysis and Evaluation
- Analyze the implications of the assessment results and external factors for your unit.
- In light of your analysis, what are your unit’s main strengths?
- In light of your analysis, what are your unit’s main weaknesses?
a) Strengths - Provides courteous and professional services in a timely matter.
b) Weaknesses – Lack communication of services on line eg: W2, W4, pay stubs, leave balances, etc. and training new and refreshing existing employees on payroll procedures and policies.
6. Three-to-Five Year Vision
- Describe your unit as you would like it to be three to five years from now.
1.1 Payroll would conduct business under one data system as opposed to the many that we work on now.
1.2 The ability to receive employee documents online, such as timesheet, work reports.
1.3 Automated tracking of hours for short term employees.
1.4 Easily accessible leave balances of sick, vacation, and comp time, for all employees.
7. Impact on the Colleges and the District
Describe the most significant relationships with other District operations and College operations.
- What major impact does your unit have on them?
- .What major impact do they have on your unit?
- How do your mission, vision, and goals contribute to the Board Imperatives and the District and/or College mission, vision, strategic directions, and/or goals?
i) Expenditures of salary and benefits generated by each and every unit within the District.
ii) Submission of timesheets and work reports.
Keeping all employee information and salaries updated in the databases.
b) With our Automated Payroll system SBCCD would be more effective due to employee stability. There will be more accuracy, efficiency and the ability for each employee to understand Payroll procedures because there will be more training available. This would create a more Learning Centered Environment, which is one of our institutions main goals. Having accurate Payrolls while working within our given budget, contribute to efficient Resource Management. With our payroll addition to the Dollars and Sense newsletter each month, we have the opportunity to keep the entire district informed on what is occurring in our department. Overall a more efficient payroll system will create a better working environment for each employee and will enhance our district.
8. Other Pertinent Information
- Include here any other information you regard as necessary for a full understanding of your unit.
Protect District and employee financial security through accurate compensation.
9. Goals, Objectives, Action Plans, and Resource Requests
- Goals (with priority rank) over the next three years
- Objectives (with priority rank) under each Goal
- Principal Activities under each Objective, if available
- Timeline for completion of each Activity or Objective
- Person responsible for ensuring completion of each Activity or Objective
Progress on or achievement of a given Goal or Objective does not necessarily require additional resources. For Goals and Objectives that do require resources, enter the following information:
- Resources required to achieve Goals and Objectives over the next three years, with description and rationale for each
- Identification of associated Goals or Objectives
Type of Resource
- Expenditure Category
- Estimated annual cost (or savings) for the next three years
- 1 - Goal - Increase Payroll Training districtwide.Priority Rank:1Objectives:
- 1.1 - Objective - Conduct at least one workshop.
Payroll training on procedures, policies and deadlines; if necessary have one on one training with areas that need additional training. In future assessment cycles, the Payroll unit request more surveys to be able to assess the needs of employees. Payroll will provide more individual and group training to maintain a professional working relationship between the department, co-workers and employees.Priority Rank:1Start Date:07/01/2011End Date:04/30/2011Responsible Person:Supervising Senior Payroll AccountantStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 1.1.r1 - Training CostsDescriptionRationaleResource Type:OngoingExpenditure Category:Personnel
- 2 - Goal - Move to one accounting system that consolidates databases.
Provides online payroll payment inquiries and provides paperless payroll balance transfers.Priority Rank:3Objectives:
- 2.1 - Objective - Explore payroll systemsPriority Rank:2Start Date:07/01/2011End Date:12/31/2011Responsible Person:Vice Chancellor of Fiscal ServicesStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 2.1.r1 - Information CostDescriptionRationaleResource Type:OngoingExpenditure Category:Personnel
- 2.2 - Objective - Determine appropriate system.Priority Rank:2Start Date:01/01/2012End Date:04/30/2012Responsible Person:Vice Chancellor Fiscal ServicesStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 2.2.r1 - Information CostDescriptionRationaleResource Type:One-timeExpenditure Category:Personnel
- 2.3 - Objective - Purchase system if appropriate.Priority Rank:2Start Date:07/01/2012End Date:06/30/2012Responsible Person:Vice Chancellor Fiscal ServicesStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 2.3.r1 - System CostDescriptionRationaleResource Type:One-timeExpenditure Category:EquipmentFirst Year Cost/Savings:$700,000.00/$0.00Second Year Cost/Savings:$200,000.00/$0.00Third Year Cost/Savings:$200,000.00/$0.00
- 3 - Goal - Improve payroll communication districtwidePriority Rank:1Objectives:
- 3.1 - Objective - Disseminate payroll information.Priority Rank:1Start Date:07/01/2011End Date:06/30/2012Responsible Person:Supervising Senior Payroll AccountantStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 3.1.r1 - Dissemination costsDescriptionRationaleResource Type:OngoingExpenditure Category:Personnel
- 3.2 - Objective - Enhance website information.Priority Rank:1Start Date:07/01/2011End Date:06/30/2012Responsible Person:Supervising Senior Payroll AccountantStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 3.2.r1 - Updating costsDescriptionRationaleResource Type:OngoingExpenditure Category:Personnel
- 4 - Goal - Improve payroll services districtwide.Priority Rank:1Objectives:
- 4.1 - Objective - Explore payroll services.Priority Rank:1Start Date:07/01/2011End Date:12/31/2011Responsible Person:Vice Chancellor Fiscal ServicesStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 4.1.r1 - Information costsDescriptionRationaleResource Type:OngoingExpenditure Category:Personnel
- 4.2 - Objective - Determine services for alignment.Priority Rank:1Start Date:01/01/2012End Date:04/30/2012Responsible Person:Vice Chancellor Fiscal ServicesStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 4.2.r1 - Information costsDescriptionRationaleResource Type:OngoingExpenditure Category:Personnel
- 4.3 - Objective - Align services.Priority Rank:1Start Date:07/01/2012End Date:06/30/2013Responsible Person:Vice Chancellor Fiscal ServicesStrategic Direction:NoneImpact Type:-- Pick One --Resource Requests:
- 4.3.r1 - Aligning costsDescriptionRationaleResource Type:OngoingExpenditure Category:Personnel
10. Progress Report on Last Cycle's Goals, Objectives, and Actions
- Estimate progress to date on each of the last cycle’s Goals, Objectives, and Activities.
- Any uncompleted Goals, Objectives, and Activities that are still important should appear in the Goals, Objectives, and Action Plans section above.
Last year our goal that we completed was working with the County Superintendent of Schools to complete the integration of the HP system and Financial 2000 system to one database.
11. Process and Participants
- Describe briefly the main steps of the process that produced this report.
- List the name and function of each participant in that process.
- Include as many members of the unit as possible in the preparation and/or review of this document. It should not be the product of the manager alone or of a small proportion of unit members.
- Describe the plan for future assessment cycles, particularly if not all measures were applied in current cycle.
The Payroll unit met four times between September and March to draft responses to the Program review documents. Angie Ontiveros was the unit leader in this process. Colleen Gamboa, Diana Shirtcliff and Angela Lujan provided input and support thought out the process as well.